Tactics and tips for solving arc welding problems using sensors and machine vision.
Contributed by | ABB
- The high initial investment costs
- Extended processing times
- The physical size of the sensor equipment
- The inability to achieve the desired accuracy of process
- The “stack-up” of tolerances that traditionally have precluded automated welding.
Joint Edge Detection by:
- Tactile Sensing
- A Proximity Sensor
- Joint Seam Tracking by Vision and Laser
- Joint Seam Tracking by Through-the-Arc Sensing
- Logical Considerations when Choosing a Sensor Solution
Joint Edge Detection
- Defining a position in space to execute a weld
- Offsetting a weld seam that varies from batch to batch
- Defining a specific product to be welded automatically given a strategic search
- Calling a number of routines which may used for flexible manufacturing
- Confirming a product has been loaded correctly
Joint Seam Tracking by Vision and Laser
- Vision solutions
- Laser scanning
- Through the arc sensors
- When sizing up the task, what is the smallest object or feature to be tracked/detected?
- When viewing the feature or part what level of measurement accuracy is required to meet the process criteria?
- What size of field of view is required to capture essential information when tracking?
- What is the speed of recognition and processing time required to meet output cycle requirements?
Joint Seam Tracking by Through-the-Arc Sensing
- The materials you are working with.
- What are the attributes that are changing and by what magnitude?
- Are there cost effective steps that you can take to reduce, control or remove the deviation?
- The option of investing in a sensor solution compared to using a different joint or manufacturing methodology that will remove the condition.
- What component cost can the product absorb and still be competitive?
- Or, alternatively, what will be the savings be by reducing the rework due to introducing the sensor solution?
- What is the impact on the consumable consumption by the introduction of the sensor solution? Is it positive or negative?
- What is the impact to your business when the issue goes away by developing an effective use of a sensor solution?
This post does not have any comments. Be the first to leave a comment below.
Post A Comment
You must be logged in before you can post a comment. Login now.