As the demand for human-like robots grows, the Uncanny Valley phenomenon will impact robot manufacturers and developers more and more. With populations aging in countries as diverse as China and the United Sates, roboticists will increasingly focus on social robots. They will ignore the Uncanny Valley at their own risk.
William Finn | AMREL
- May have heard the term “Uncanny Valley.”
- Are vaguely aware that it has something to do with people’s revulsion of certain types of humanoid robots.
- Feel the concept of “Uncanny Valley” has nothing to do with them, because they deal with “real” robots, not those faddish, impractical, Japanese humanimitation contraptions.
What is the “Uncanny Valley”?
- KOBIAN: Emotional humanoid robot
- CB2-Child-robot With Biomimetic Body
- Animatronic Baby
- New Military Human Robot PETMAN Prototype
You may not be building humanoid robots now, but you may be soon
The Uncanny Valley applies to nonhuman-like robots
You should care because the military does
Not so fast
This post does not have any comments. Be the first to leave a comment below.
Post A Comment
You must be logged in before you can post a comment. Login now.